Tuesday, June 3, 2008

neighbors, garage sales, back-yard-envy

We have new neighbors! They have two little girls. Excitement for Jeneva. They own a Thai restaurant in St. Paul. My favorite! They said they would bring us food. Yipee!

Speaking of neighbors, I am having "back-yard-envy." Our neighboring neighborhood hosted their annual garage sale on Saturday. I love "neighborhood" sales.

Normally it's challenging with kids to go to garage sales. Load everyone in the car. Try and follow the signs that typically have too-small-print. Get out. Get the kids out. Look around and realize it really IS just someone else's junk. Get back in. Drive to the next sale. Hope you hit the jackpot. It's reeks havoc on the car. It's time consuming. With gas at $4 a gallon....you get the point. Neighborhood sales simply involve getting on your bike with the burley on back and away you go.

Well, Saturday was a glorious day and it seemed like the entire neighborhood was out. We shopped with some friends which made the trip even more enjoyable. As we strolled through the alley ways of the homes in this lovely neighborhood, I got envious. What lovely back yards! Big? Nope. Quaint. Yes! We don't live in the suburbs. There's no such thing as big back yards in the city, BUT it has way cute houses and big beautiful trees! Quaint little bungalos with charm and character and design that only the 1920's and 30's brought to us.

Maybe someday we will have a quaint little back yard WITH a treehouse and a square foot garden! Does anyone have anything to offer me on contentment? :) Well, maybe tomorrow I will just take it upon myself to begin designing that tree house. Steve's handy. He's got tools. I'm sure he'll LOVE my idea.

1 comment:

Yvette said...

Ahh, I missed the Victory neighborhood garage sale weekend. I miss just being able to walk to it, and I love the neighborhood sales too so that you can just go from one sale to the next. I used to get backyard envy too walking down the alleys.