Friday, July 4, 2008

foody friday~greens

Ironically enough, Jenny has chosen the theme of "greens" for this foody friday....which also happens to be the 4th of July. She wanted to make it clear that she was NOT making a political statement and rebelling against the good old red white and blue~in exchange for 'going green.' Merely a coincidence! :)

One of our favorite frozen vegetables are Greens with Envy that we find at Trader Joes. Saute it in some EVOO and add a bit of salt...mmmm. The kid, the hubby, we all love it.

About 3 weeks ago I made a trip to my favorite Trader Joe's much to my dismay I found out that they no longer carry Greens with Envy!!! I was devastated, but determined. Determined to still have my Greens. Granted, this bag of vegetables is not all that difficult to figure out how to recreate. So, I chose our favorite green vegetables and made it at home. I must say, mmmm, it tastes virtually the same!

Greens with Envy~(tiffany style)

*Frozen Edamame (not to be confused with Lima Beans. These have a much better texture)
*Frozen Asparagus diced (frozen spears from Trader Joes taste like fresh!)
*Fresh Spinach (cook it with the frozen vegetables)
*Frozen Broccoli (heads, not the stemy kind)
*2 or 3 cloves of garlic (we just like garlic and add it to our liking)

Cook all of this in some EVOO and add salt to taste. Of course you can use all fresh veggies if you have it on hand, and then you would just have to cook it prior to cooking the spinach because spinach doesn't take very long to get wilty.

You can find more "greens" recipes at A Latte Talk. Happy Independence Day!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

WHY would they discontinue that??? It was one of my favorites when I was a TJ's faithful.

Where do you buy frozen shelled edamame? We always by the in-shell kind, but for a stir-fry like this, it would be nice to have shelled.

Yum.

tiffany said...

TJ's of course!

Homegrown Tribe said...

thanks so much for stopping by my blog and saying Hi! you have a BEAUTIFUL family. We used to buy that same "greens with envy" from tj's but not anymore since cutting out soy.

i'll add you to my google reader so i'll remember to come back. :)

brittany

Yvette said...

You can also get frozen edamame at Costco. Not that we buy it though since my boys can't eat too much soy because of food allergies though they both can tolerate small amounts.

Sounds good. I have not tried TJ's frozen asparagus. We'll have to give the recipe a try minus the soybeans of course.