Wednesday, July 16, 2008

apparently i have become a coffee snob

I bought Maxwell House coffee. I'm a bit sheepish to admit that. My freezer is typically stocked with various beans from Starbucks, Caribou, and Trader Joes. I would never buy Maxwell House or Folgers at the grocery store, but I was at Costco and according to my brother, everything from Costco is good. Plus, right on the can it says 'good to the last drop.' I passed by the extra large bags of Starbucks beans and headed for the cheap stuff. Or should I say the "church" stuff. I don't know what they serve at church, but I am so glad our church also offers hot tea. So anyway, I caved. Just to save a few bucks this time around. Blahhugh. The really bad thing is that I did buy it at Costco. The can is HUGE. It will take awhile to get through this one. So, if you are a lucky friend who gets to come over for coffee some morning, you might want to bring your own beans. An extra couple glugs of half 'n half might do the trick too. So, all this to say, I believe I have become a coffee snob.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

From what I understand from others who are Costco members and buy more there than I do, they would totally return it. I think they'll take it back. They are incredibly permissive in what they'll accept back.

Tell them you tried a new brand, and it's awful. I don't think they'll give you any flack about it. Especially since you haven't used very much.

We buy our coffee there, but we buy the Kirkland beans, in the green bag. They claim that they're roasted by Starbucks. I don't drink coffee, but Abraham does, and he's enjoyed this coffee a lot.

He used to drink whatever sludge was available, but has also developed higher standards for what his morning coffee should taste like.

I would try taking it back if I were you.

Jenny said...

Welcome to the club.

Not that i've ever bought folgers.

The coffee snob club. Honestly, I think you've been a part for a while, and just in denial. Isn't acknowledgement freeing?

:)

Jenna said...

yeah. do what molly said, because I really want to come over for coffee, but me no likey maxwell house. but, if you're not going to return it, i'll sacrifice my taste buds and come over and help drink that bad boy down.

Yvette said...

Oh good. I'm so glad to read Molly's post that the Kirkland stuff is good because I just bought that bag, passing over the Maxwell House. I'm a bit of a tea and coffee snob myself. But really, you do want to like what you drink. Plus Johnny would have been very disappointed in me if the Kirkland stuff was bad.

melissa said...

We did that once too (not from Costco, but a big tub of folgers or maxwell house or something) and made one pot and it was so disgusting neither of us could drink it and then the tub sat in our cabinet for like a year because it felt so wasteful to throw it out but we finally did because we knew we'd never in a million years drink it and i wanted the container for an art project. So return it. And accept your status as an official coffee snob. :) Welcome.

Anonymous said...

Now that you're 30 you can officially declare yourself a coffe snob almost wrote snot! We have some of the same blood running through our veins - only good beans WITH half n half will do the job-BUT if it's between bad coffe or no coffe the bad will do but only in a pinch. Return the "stuff"

Unknown said...

I'd use it on the garden.

Marty and I discovered some of the best coffee in St. Anthony on Main. Rich but not as bitter as Starbucks. It's Taraccino. Right next to the bagel shop on a corner.

I almost exclusively drink a double shot with a splash of hot water in order to better taste the roast.

We've tried making espresso with Maxwell-type "coffee." We've tried making regular coffee with Maxwell-type "coffee." I don't think Maxwell House coffee beans are actually coffee beans. We've also learned the hard way that if you run out of the good coffee beans, the coffee headache is more desirable than drinking Maxwell House.