Friday, April 18, 2008

foody friday

My friend, Jenny, over at A-Latte-Talk came up with a great idea for sharing recipes! I'm posting one of our family favorites. You can then follow the link above to her page and you will find some other friends favorite recipes. Our family has so many favorites, including this one. I put this one up first because I just recently sent it to a friend in Iowa and so it was already on my clipboard, pictures and all. The Mango Chutney and the Curry Paste are fabulous together! If you aren't a big fan of curry powder that a lot of Indian dishes call for, don't let the name of this recipe turn you off. My husband doesn't care for that kind of curry, but this dish is a favorite of his. I think because it's curry paste that's used and the chutney adds extra sweetness for a delectable combo!

VEGETABLE CURRY

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups jasmine or basmati rice (any kind of rice works fine)
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 large, firm eggplant, half peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes (I have substituted with chicken before)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 cup vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
  • 2 rounded tablespoons mild red curry paste, found in the international foods aisle
  • 1 can chickpeas
  • 1/2 cup (a couple of heaping tablespoons) mango chutney
  • Salt
  • A handful cilantro, chopped (optional)
  • Thinly sliced scallions
  • Store-bought naan bread or whole wheat pitas



Preparation

Prepare rice according to package directions.
While rice is simmering, start the curry: Heat a nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add EVOO, eggplant, onion and bell pepper. Cover pan and cook 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Step Add garlic and tomato paste, cook about 1 minute more then add the vegetable stock, curry paste and chickpeas.
Step Stir in mango chutney and salt, and simmer for 1-2 minutes over low heat for flavors to combine. Remove curry from heat and stir in cilantro.
Step To serve, ladle curry into shallow bowls then scoop rice into the center of the bowls. Garnish your curry with lots of cilantro and scallions, and serve with naan bread or pitas alongside.

3 comments:

Yvette said...

Oh thanks. I love getting new recipes. I need to post one too. Where is the mango chutney found in stores?

Jenny said...

Oh. my. goodness. This sounds sooo yummy, I don't make curry dishes very much, but now I have a recipe to try... :) THanks, Tiffany!!

tiffany said...

Yvette, I found the Mango Chutney at Super Target. I can't remember what aisle, but it was on the shelf right next to curry paste and other funky seasonings. Maybe by the pasta and rice?