Sunday, May 11, 2008

jude's dedication

Last night we had Jude dedicated at our church. I want to list the dedication questions that were asked of the parents during the service to which we responded "I do."

1. Do you recognize these children as the gifts of God and give heartfelt thanks for God's blessing? 2. Do you now dedicate your children to the Lord who gave them to you all, surrendering all worldly claims upon their lives in the hope that they will belong wholly to God? 3. Do you pledge as parents that, with God's fatherly help, you will bring up your children in the discipline and instruction of the Lord, making every reasonable effort, with patience and love, to build the word of God, the character of Christ and the joy of the Lord into their lives? 4. Do you promise to provide, through God's blessing, for the physical, emotional, intellectual and spiritual needs of your children, looking to your own Heavenly Father for the wisdom, love and strength to serve them and not use them? 5. Do you promise, God helping you, to make it your regular prayer that by God's grace your children will come to trust in Jesus Christ alone for the forgiveness of their sins and for the fulfillment of all his promises to them, even eternal life, and in this faith follow Jesus as Lord and obey his teachings?

Sometimes events like a child dedication or a baptism can be done ritualistically or thought of as a formality. Bethlehem is so big on meaning and intentionality and as I re-write and read these words, I am challenged once again. Hearing pastor David Michael, with his hand placed on the back of Jude's head while looking him in the eye, saying "Jude, together with your parents who love you dearly and this people who care about the outcome of your faith, I dedicate you to God, surrendering together with them all worldly claim upon your life in the hope that you will belong wholly to the Lord, forever." Then the body of Christ, some close family, some dear friends, some folks we sort of know, and some people we don't know at all say "I do." It's not a formality. It's not a ritual. There's meaning and purpose in it. The body of Christ truly cares about the outcome of my child's faith. Thank you, Jesus.

Parent's dedicating their children always receive a red rose during the church service. Another thing that our church does is have a vase filled with white roses for those who experience grief during Mother's Day. It is a way to recognize not only those who have children living, but those who have lost children or even family members. Click here to read my friend Jenna's entry about some people she talked to with white roses.

Today I am thankful. I'm thankful for two children. I am thankful that the Lord has spared me this far from losing any children. I am thankful for family and friends who care about the outcome of my children's faith. I am thankful for MY mom. I am thankful for my mom's mom and my dad's mom. I can honestly say (eek, I hate to admit it) that Mother's Day didn't carry as much meaning for me until I became a mom. Maybe I was blinded or somewhat insensitive. It's because I am able to love and appreciate so much more the women in my life because I understand more.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

just reading the words of dedication brought tears to my eyes. this is a beautiful post!