Wednesday, February 12, 2014

late night ramblings

I am completely lost in a novel (What Alice Forgot) and it feels so good!  It's been quite some time since I've finished a book or really been engaged with it (book club failure last year).

The past two weeks have been tough.  Blame it on the weather.  Blame it on lack of time to myself.  It's all just my sin and my heart and it just needs to be dealt with.  I'm feeling relatively hopeful today.  A Praying Life by Paul Miller has been a refreshing read for me these past two weeks.  I'm slowly trudging through it and finding conviction and encouragement.  Thankful for that.

Steve has been working an insane amount of hours.  He signed up for 1 or 2 shifts of OT a week, which is manageable, but then on top of that he is being forced to stay extra shifts.  They are super low on staff and their new recruits are still in training, so it will be like this for a few more weeks. 

I stayed up until 9:30 tonight with Jude getting his class valentine's ready for Friday.  It was a moment I wanted to savor and bottle up forever.  My kindergartner was so excited about signing his name on all 25 of his valentine's and then writing each child's name from his class.  It led to stories and conversations about many of the kids in his class.  It was just sweet.  I loved it.  He's been very affectionate lately too.  Last night when we were doing family devos in the living room, he out of the blue started scratching my back.  Now if we could only get him to remember to hold open doors for girls!

Jeneva and Jude started their own "book club" with each other.  A super exciting book set called Conspiracy 365 came with my new Usborne consultant kit.  Jeneva decided to read it aloud to Jude.  They are both totally into it and starting book 2 already.  She reads it aloud in the van and even takes it on the bus with them to read to him.  Oh my word, I'm dying because I love that SO MUCH!

My biggest conviction in parenting right now is in modeling for my kids how to deal with disappointment.  I have NOT dealt with disappointment well lately.  I get super upset and frustrated when plans get thwarted or things don't go the way I expected them to. Praying for God to work in my heart and give me a spirit of contentment in all circumstances.

All for now.  Gonna read another chapter of my book before bed and then SLEEP.  Hopefully.  :)


2 comments:

The Jones Family (TN) said...

I love all your honest posts. I always feel like you are reading my mind. Thanks for sharing and encouraging others to help us know that we are not alone. Being a wife and a mother is a tough job and we can only get through it with HIS strength!!

Anonymous said...

LOVE that Jeneva is reading to Jude on the bus! Love your honesty and I resonate with all of your thoughts. : ) MIss you a lot. Amanda McAlpine