Monday, January 26, 2009

books we have recently read or are currently reading

A Child's Garden of Verses
I love this illustrator. The poems in here are fun and whimsical. This book is on the Charlotte Mason reading list. Jeneva really enjoys poetry.


I am just starting this one and can't wait to get into it!

A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS

This is probably one of the best novels I have ever read. I couldn't put it down! Highly recommended.

Gladys Aylward: The Adventure of a Lifetime (Christian Heroes: Then & Now) (Christian Heroes, Then & Now)

We read these aloud to Jeneva. True story about the Adventures of Gladys Aylward: Lifetime missionary to China. Excellent!

Mary Slessor: Forward into Calabar (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)

Like the one listed above. Mary was a missionary in Africa. Hard to put down! Great for adults and kids.

Yummy Yucky (Leslie Patricelli board books)

Jude's FAVORITE!!! :)

This Momentary Marriage: A Parable of Permanence

One of Piper's new books. We've only just begun this one.

Samantha An American Girl Boxed Set

Jeneva received the Samantha set as a gift and is really enjoying them! (I'm enjoying them too:) I believe she will be entering the American Girl phase soon...



Good for a women's group study or personal growth.

The Well-Trained Mind.

I'm not planning to Homeschool.....but this book is very insightful and helps me to see some of the reasons people do. It has excellent ideas about how children learn.

The Calvary Road

Our latest small group book that we just finished. Powerful little book on repentance and revival.


Our most entertaining family book. LOVE IT. :)




I don't know anything about this book, but Steve has been reading it for awhile now and likes it.

6 comments:

Annika said...

Are you reading all of those right now? Where do you find the time? And no to home schooling? You would be really good at it :)

tiffany said...

Oh no, I'm not reading them all at the same time. These are just books we've read over the past year that have been really good. I'm reading a couple of them right now though. Home school....still not sure yet. :)

.kp. said...

ive/weve read a lot of these and have enjoyed them too. lies women believe rocked my world a few years back. first time i ever really was convicted about dying to self.

good luck on the homeschool roller coaster. we all ride it. again, im here if you want to ponder out loud.

you might consider stepping heavenward by elizabeth prentiss. i think you could dig it judging by your list. also true woman by susan hunt.

Jenny said...

oh, wow... love your list, thanks for the ideas!

I need to start a new book...

Hoichi said...

Thanks for sharing these! I find lists like that so helpful for new ideas! I have heard that the book Steve is reading is really excellent!

melissa said...

The American Girl phase... yes. Grace is there. And has been for a couple of years at least. She devours the books. :)

I'm putting the Yummy Yucky and We Howl We Growl on our list of books to check out! They look great.

Thanks for the list! I LOVE getting good book recommendations.