Monday, August 11, 2008

naming children...

I am always interested in what people name their children and their reasons for choosing a particular name.

I really loved the name Jeneva (not Geneva) when I first heard it. When I was teaching 2nd grade, I had a student whose sister's name was Jeneva. Her mom told me that it meant 'Purity.' Very appropriate for our little girl we thought. We also found the meaning 'Juniper Tree.' At first that may seem like a strange meaning, but we embraced the idea of her name meaning a 'tree' or something that has 'roots'. We liked the visual that this meaning evokes and this is the verse that we chose for her. Her middle name is Rae, which is the same as mine.

Jeneva's name gets mispronounced by people who don't know her sometimes: Genevive, Geneva, Jennifer. She's gotten good at saying very firmly: "it's jen-i-VUH". She'll probably always have to pronounce it and spell it for people. She told me yesterday that she likes her name because no one else has it. That is also one of the reasons I love it as well, but of course would be happy if someone else chose it for their little girl too. :)

Choosing our boy's name was more difficult. Steve and I went back and forth with several different names and we never seemed to agree. Even on the morning that I was scheduled to be induced we were on the internet frantically looking at boys names and trying to have a list of options we agreed on. We chose not to find out the gender of either of our children before delivery. We had our girls name picked out. It was going to be Josie. The baby was going to be born on Steve's grandma Josie's birthday. How appropriate if it were a girl. We were uncertain on a middle name though for a girl.

So, about our boy names, we still hadn't chosen one that we agreed on. Jude was at the top of Steve's list. Isaiah and Levi were at the top of mine. Jude was following in 3rd place for me. He was born at 7:30 the evening of November 1. We still didn't have a name for him until the next day in the afternoon. Jude Isaiah. I fell in love with it. I knew he would get a lot of 'Hey Jude' in reference to the Beatles song, but I didn't care. Jude means 'Praise and Thanks.' Isaiah means 'God is Salvation'. You certainly can't go wrong with those meanings! We weren't intentionally choosing Biblical names, those just happened to be the ones that we were drawn to. I also loved the way his name looked on paper. It just flowed well. I'm weird about stuff like that I guess.

Our ideas for boy middle names were: William (Steve's Dad), Harold (my dad....though we didn't really consider this one because, well, Harold?!? Love ya dad:) John (Steve's middle name and my grandpa's name, but sounds strange with Jude) Lambert (Steve's grandpa, Josie's husband....this is a rather odd name too though). We decided to skip the 'family' names and just choose what we liked.

Some people have asked if all of our children's names will begin with a J. Probably not. It wasn't intentional.

Around the same time that Jude was born there was another baby born from our church with the name Judah. Very similar.

This is even more ironic. On Sunday I was working as a Childcare Coordinator at our church in the nurseries. I used to do this every Sunday, but quit a couple of years ago when Steve was gone over a 6 month period for the National Guard. Now I fill in for other staff every once in awhile. So, Sunday I was filling in for Andrea who is on maternity leave. I was helping babies get checked in to Nursery 1 (0-12 months). I noticed a mom whom I had never seen before put her child's name tag on that said 'Jude.' Excitedly, I said, "oh, my son's name is Jude too!" She asked if his middle name was Isaiah? "Yes! How did you know?" She told me that her son's name was Jude Isaiah too and she had seen my son's name on the list of children getting dedicated a few months back and was shocked when she saw the exact same name as her son. Now a name like 'Jennifer Lynn' or 'Stephen John' or something more common like that wouldn't be too shocking, but the combination of 'Jude Isaiah' seemed very ironic!

I was congratulating another woman yesterday who just had her 5th son. They named him Levi. I told her that had been one of our options for boy names. She told me that they had a difficult time deciding between the names Jude and Levi for their son too. There must be a trend to certain names.

One day Jude was in our church nursery with four other boys whose names were Noah, Micah, Jonah, and Abraham. I believe maybe Biblical names are a trend now. Especially in Christian circles, but not necessarily.

Any thoughts?

3 comments:

melissa said...

First of all, obviously, I love the name Jude. :) Our Judah gets his name shortened to Jude all the time. Did you notice the day Judah and Jude were dedicated there was another Judah? And with you meeting the woman with another Jude Isaiah (which is AMAZING), I really think there is something to the "name trend" thing.

When we had Moses 2 years ago, I didn't know of ANY other babies/children named Moses. Since then I've heard of three Moses's born at BBC!

We've also seen some little ones named Matthias, or some variation, lately. Matthias is a very common name in some other countries, but not so much here.

Jeneva has a beautiful name, that although needing to be pronounced and spelled for people, is worth it for its uniqueness and beauty. I'm glad she likes it. :)

I'm relieved that you're not planning on having a passel of kids all with "J" names. I always wonder if the parents actually LIKE all those names, or if they just use them for the letter they start with. Like "Jinger" instead of "Ginger." It looks like it rhymes with "Ringer". blah.

Fun post. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree, Tiffany. I have noticed a Biblical name trend (especially OT names) more among boys than girls lately. (Although there are definitely name trends among girls, too! Just not necessarily biblical names.) I think parents, especially Christians, are drawn to the meanings and the characters of these names. There is a significance in the names that is almost immediately evident. I think it is an inward strength we can give our boys that stays with them for life.

BTW, I feel like I should introduce myself -- I used to attend BBC and watched Jeneva often in the nursery. We also met last year when helping Jessica Hughes pack up and move to FL. I have loved drawing wisdom (and a good laugh) from your blog. We're expecting our first in just 8 days... until then, our baby names are a secret!

e&e said...

Well, we have a Joshua James, so apparently we like J names AND biblical names. Joshy was actually named after a close friend of ours (Joshua) and my grandpa (James). But we also loved the biblical connection. I think it is a trend, or maybe just always popular. Eric would like Obadiah for this one if it's a boy. Um, I'm not so excited. When we were planning to adopt from Ethiopia, Judah was our top baby name for a boy.

Mariella is actually a form of Mary. We liked the idea of naming a child Mary, but not that actual name as it seemed so plain to us.

Who knows what we'll name this one. Eric likes the name Jeneva, but I will always associate it with that sweet little girl I used to get to take care of and who was dedicated right next to Joshy (and with so much hair!).

Miss you all!
elisa